Wednesday, October 15, 2008

You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your

cousins! My cousin CK, whose diapers I changed when I was 14 years old, turned into a terrific woman who has a fabulous orange-haired family. She scoured her friends, searching for someone who has been "in my shoes" to give me some one-on-one support and it took about 15 minutes or so, for someone to turn up!

CK's friend, Lisa, works with a woman named Dara who was more than happy to talk/email to me about her situation--and what an encouragement it has been for me! Dara is in the midst of her reconstruction, which she began a year after her dbl. mastectomy. She had 14 lymph nodes taken out, but no chemo, no radiation and no cancer left! She was very encouraging on a lot of levels and said I can call anytime.

I got the giant packet of info from the plastic surgeon, along with the instructions that I need to be "marked" on Monday morning at 9am. I also got a certificate for a free facial and analysis at the plastic surgeon's office anytime in the next 6 months. I sent the plastic surgeon a heartfelt thank-you note today, expressing my complete and utter beholdance to her for the rest of my life. I did hold off on offering to clean her office or something--didn't want her to think I was a stalker!

Did I mention that I have to bathe twice a day on Fri, Sat and Sun with anti-bacterial soap, leaving the suds on for 5 minutes? The plastic surgeon said something like 70% or more infections are brought in on the patient, so she wants me clean, clean, clean. I guess it's a good thing that I scrubbed out the water tanks today before the rain...

I will be posting a link to a friend's blog, where she will update on Monday as she gets word on my surgery, etc. That way you can just check in.

For those of you worrying about me or my surgery, or my recovery, etc., I wanted to remind you of the low level of my duress, at this point. Here's someone who has/is really going through something: check this out.

No comments: