Monday, October 6, 2008

Here's the beginning...

I had not gone for a mammogram for about 3 years. My doctor's practice had moved, and somehow my name had fallen through the cracks (I assume) since I never got a reminder card. I was busy, no big deal. But around the first of the year, I figured I'd better get back on schedule so I got an appt. for March to do my annual exam and mammogram.

As far as I know, that mammo was fine. They told me to come back in six months, as this March picture would be my new baseline and they would want to check for any changes in that time. If all was the same, I would be back on an annual schedule.

So, September 11, I went for that six-month follow-up. They took umpteen pictures and came back and took more. Of course, you know something is going on and you have to keep sitting in the hall in those ridiculous capelet things, reading trashy magazines and waiting with all the other nervous ladies in ridiculous capelet things.

Finally, they asked me to come over to the ultrasound room and started in on my there. It was all focusing on my left breast--the biggie. When #3 was finishing up her nursing career, she focused entirely on the left side. #2 had also favored the left side, but I hadn't given up the right entirely at that point. The left side also had mastitis with #2. It's the work horse, the power house, the one that drags my bra strap down 648 times per day.

The ultrasound showed a "spot" that they couldn't define and they recommended a needle biopsy at the breast center. They would leave a titanium clip in the mark the spot for any future return. The soonest they could get me in was the next Thursday, seven days later.

Soooooo, off I went. At first, the technicians could find nothing! Yipee! I thought. But, of course, they had to bring in the doctor to confirm the missing spot. She found it, pretty quickly, actually, but it was a little tricky.

A breast biopsy isn't very fun, but not terribly painful. A little like being shot with a tiny, little spear-gun. There's even a nasty metallic gun-clicking noise that they warn you about right before, so you don't leap off the table like a tuna!

That was on a Thursday morning, so the results wouldn't be back before the weekend.

The good part was that the doctor was "horsey". We talked horses the whole time and at the end, I told her thanks (??) and that I sincerely hoped I would never, ever see her again...

6 comments:

Aibrean's Musings said...

Oh this story feels so familiar... glad you're doing this. I wish I had thought to do it four years ago! Hugs!

Melissa said...

Dad-gone-it! I hate that you're having to deal with this. Keep us posted and I'll keep praying!

EEEEMommy said...

I'm praying for you and would be blessed to "wallow through this" with you! I had a breast cancer scare myself in college, but it was just fibrocystic breast disease. One of the dearest women in the world to me (my adopted college mom) has been fighting breast cancer naturally for the past couple of years. I don't know that there's a woman who hasn't been touched by this somehow.
May God's grace be so real to you and may He carry you through making you more like Jesus all the while.

Grace and Peace,
Angel

Tacosix said...

ok...i have to comment on the name of your blog. tracy, that is so you! you made me giggle. i love your sense of humor. thank you for this blog.

on our knees....

Les

Unknown said...

I find your writing strengthening me when i was really looking for a way to help you.
With gods help and your approach to life you will be fine
We send our love and prayers from SD

unclrik said...

You have been enjoined into a battle obviously not of your choice, the God formed character that you reveal in your very word tells us all that you have brought your whole armor to the fray and are prepared walk in strength. I have chosen to walk with you in spirit and flesh giving you my prayers daily for your strength and my shoulder as needed for a moment of rest. At the end of a war the result is no doubt important but not as important as how each battle is drawn. Fight the good fight keep your eye on the prize, we all love you and are indeed strengthened by your faith.

UR