Wednesday, October 22, 2008

And the thank-you roll continues

Okay, yesterday when I got home, I opened presents from DF (wonderful Party Lite candles to overwhelm dog-smell), from MS (a beautiful bracelet and pretty note pad), a large pretty plant was delivered from my cousin JM in Ohio; #1's very sweet biology teacher showed up with sweet rolls and flowers and #1's biology book that got left behind on Monday.

I forgot to thank SP who drove all over God's green acres on Monday delivering my kids hither and yon. Her daughter made me sweet cards and her handsome little son has been wearing a pink breast cancer bracelet for weeks now, just for me! My grandma (a bc survivor) gave me a beautiful bc ribbon stained glass to hang in my window. My aunt has been cooking and doing laundry and laying with #2 in bed reading at night. My grandma has been keeping #3 entertained.

Then CR drove the kids to 4H last night and sent home a french-toast casserole to eat or freeze. I have gotten cards from my cousin in Ohio, a game-cube from my cousin in MD!, calls from my cousins elsewhere and lots of licking from Princess Tashi.

The Love Machine is putting up with laying on a chair next to me, but doesn't understand why he can't sit in his usual pose of facing me on my lap, with his arms up towards my neck, breathing my breath. At this point of not-showering, he may be better off. I have a little bag that holds a ball, literally, of pain med that is tubed right overtop of my sternum. The ball will empty by itself in about four days at which time, I just pull out the little tubes--personal growth. In the meantime I get to carry this heavy little canteen everywhere with me. I can't shower until it is empty.

I did look today and it's pretty darn amazing. My grandma can't believe I don't have "dressings" or "packing" or something. There's just little steri-strips over incisions and there's not one in my armpit, so he must've used a shop-vac or something. I wasn't paying that much attention.

Anyway, getting up that first time in the morning was a little tough, but it feels better to be moving and stretching. Drain things are gross, but you gotta do it. Watched Emma last night with Handyman, interrupted several times while he did all the kid driving and chores. He was a little whiney and I told him "Welcome to my life when you're at work or gone. Suck it up, Bud!" :)

The plastic surgeon stressed to my parents that I must not get constipated--okay, weird, but I am a rule-follower; so have loaded up on prunes. The physical therapist told me I am never to get blood pressure or needle sticks in my left arm EVER again. I should be careful to not get sunburned and always wear gloves when working outside, protecting myself from unnecessary infection opportunities through scratches, etc. Since lymph nodes have been removed, I have less protection. She said lymph nodes grab things that are too big for capillaries to move. That's why the cancer goes there. The lymph node is trying to catch it and kill it.

Napping is such an extravagance. What a treat! Thanks for all the well wishes. Praying for clean lymph nodes.

6 comments:

ammess632 said...

Hey! I've tried several times to post but keep having issues. I'm hoping this time's the charm. Just wanted you to know that I'm relieved to know everything went so well and I'm hoping you have a quick recovery. You are an inspiration to us all, just like my big sis was! I only hope that I would have as much courage to face these obstacles as you have. Hope to see you this weekend. I know you will be properly spoiled should you make it. Love to all.
Ann M & Clan

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Tracy!!!!!

Love,
Laurie

EEEEMommy said...

I'm glad you're home and will be praying for a speedy and complete recovery! :)

rookiemom said...

Happy Birthday Tracy!! Hope you liked the casserole and muffins. I sacrificed and tortured the whole family with the smell of homemade muffins and gave every one of them to your wonderful family. Actually we were all glad to share them with you. You are much appreciated and loved!! Cheryl for the Rookes

Dawn Satterfield said...

Tracy, I am thinking of you every day and praying for you too. It sounds like you are in good hands with all your friends and family taking care of you and the girls. Take care of yourself and know I am here if you need me. xoxo Dawn

taco6 said...

Tracy, happy(a day late) birthday. my computer is giving me fits and i have not been able to post. I am so glad that you have the help you need for a smooth recovery. hang in there, you are amazing. we are praying for a clean report on Friday.

keep bloggin...

LT