Tuesday, November 18, 2008

How much does all this cost??

In case anyone is wondering what breast cancer runs in the financial arena...

My bill from the breast surgeon was around $5000, of which he received $1500 from insurance and $300 from me. That $5000 was for surgery day, not visits, which were minimal.

The plastic surgeon's bill for surgery was $11,000, which she filed with my insurance, they routed it to a "non-network" deductible of $10,000, which I have met none of, so she receives nothing.

The anaesthesiologist was around $1500-$1800, can't remember. I think that's pathetic considering she's doing the risky stuff.

The hospital bill came yesterday; keep in mind I was there around 30 hours. I didn't have a lightswitch I could reach all night and the bill was $46,000, which they were paid $39,000 by the insurance company.

The insurance company also paid $2700 for the BR-CA gene test. Since some of my chemo will be done after the first of the year, I'll be responsible for the first $5500. But after that, they pay everything (in network). Not bad, considering.

1 comment:

taco6 said...

so..how much of all of these totals are you guys responsible for? do they accept what the insurance pays and that is it?

Les