Saturday, November 8, 2008

Better

I was better yesterday. Hopefully it wasn't just the distraction of my friend, CD, who brought me a meal for today! Yea! Handyman graciously doffs his cap again and again to all of you who have contributed so generously to his nutritional needs. He is really over tostito crumbs with cheese melted in the microwave...did I mention that I am way okay with "rut eating"? My dad taught me this by insisting that mom cook in industrial-size batches EVERY meal. That way he could eat the leftovers for several days. And believe me, my mom doesn't throw out anything. You eat and re-save it over and over until there is more mass of green fungi than food.

When I got married, I didn't realize there was any use for smallish pots and pans. Then I learned that Handyman is okay with leftovers and he is frugal, but he is not a rut-eater like us. He doesn't do the "Friday Night Spaghetti" thing, every week the same. And, he has catered food at work. Now that isn't always as excited as you think--sometimes the "caterer" is Papa John's or Jimmie John's or someother John's. But sometimes it's a two-entree choice with vegetable sides and a soup.

ANYWAY--he is VERY thankful to all of you who have made the drive to Netherfield to sustain him. So I got to visit with CD, for the first time in a year and then went to Mom and Dad's for the first real meal I have eaten in a couple days and it was good--meatloaf with mashed potatoes and tomato-soup gravy. Then we watched Dancing With the Stars as is our habit.

#3 ate her meatloaf and her potatoes but mostly ate sweet pickles and olives and then had a big rootbeer float. Then Mom realized that she had forgotten to put out the deviled eggs! So, of course she got those out and #3 had one of those too. By this time I was popping a couple of antacid tablets and here came #3 breathing deviled egg/root beer breath in my face and it was almost too much for me. I told Mom, if I had to clean up puked-up root beer with deviled egg, I was going to kill her! Then, #3 says, "My belly hurts." and I look pointedly at Mom.

Fortunately, her digestive system was up to the strain. Mine is still in recovery mode. I did eat peanut butter toast this morning and in honor of my Gammie, I put butter under the peanut butter, because that's how she did it (and it's GREAT). That's the first morning I've wanted/eaten breakfast in several. So, improvement.

I have also scheduled myself for a 1/2 hour massage next Friday. My neck is kinked something fierce and I'm willing to pay for help. In fact, I may just make it a standing appointment because I can use my health savings account to pay for it! Needa's SIL is a massage therapist, so I have an "in".

So, I don't have to worry about food tonight and there's a chicken pot pie in the freezer for tomorrow after church! And then, there's a smoked chicken for later in the week...thank you Lord for FRIENDS!

1 comment:

Needa said...

I am thankful for my husband who asks which leftover is oldest in the fridge and diligently adheres to the LIFO process! (Last In, First Out for those of you who never had beginning accounting)