Thursday, December 4, 2008

My hair hurts

Another lovely hat came in from TX yesterday. At this rate, I'll have one for each day I'm hairless!! Also, one of my table leaders from Awana (I'm the Kindergarten room leader), sent me a frozen casserole for dinner! And she's the one I just met a few weeks ago. Very, very thoughtful.

My new hat is a variegated green, to match my Patagucci green fleece jacket. It is made from baby alpaca wool and is very, very soft. LD told me her cat would not leave this yarn alone while she was knitting. It fits perfectly, again. I'll try to get a picture up of it soon. Handyman wanted to know how many baby alpacas had to give their lives for me to have that hat?!?

I should have taken a picture of myself last night. AC, my hairdresser for life, did a terrific job whacking my hair down to boy-length. It actually looked terrific, although it is #1's worst nightmare--she says it is exactly like her biology teacher's hair. So now, she can't escape any thought of biology! (Although she really does like the teacher.)

Anyway, the haircut is terrific, although it is very short, especially in back. When I woke up this morning, it was all standing straight up on the top of my head. I am not kidding. I looked like that red-haired circus guy from Barnum & Bailey. It was amazing. When I got back into bed after doing all the morning animal chores, it hurt to lay my head on the pillow. I actually said, "ow" out loud. If I scooted on the pillow it hurt.

For those of you who have never had a pony tail, you probably can't relate. It's the "hair hurt" you get after having your hair pulled tightly into a style for a long while and then you un-do it. Only this doesn't stop hurting. It hurt to brush it down into place. Then I put a baseball hat on, to get everyone used to seeing me in one and it hurts, a lot, to shift the hat on my head. It hurts for about 10 minutes after I move the hat, at all.

Very weird. I guess the little hairs are just hanging on by their itty bitty roots and don't like to be messed with. Oh, well. It'll be gone soon. And AC tells me I'll have lots of different hair do's to come as it grows back in next spring.

Let's just hope it comes back in a familiar color....

4 comments:

survivor.mom said...

Man, I had forgotten all about that. I remember my scalp feeling like it had little pins sticking all over it. It only lasted a day or two, if I remember correctly. After I cut it short, and before it all fell out, I would absentmindedly pick out little pieces of hair, until my head had little paths picked out of it! (As if I didn't looked diseased enough!!!) :-) One thing I didn't realize was that my hair would grow back a little between cycles. BFF DF said you might be visiting on Friday to go to the "hair store". I loved them, and they were so helpful there. I would love to meet you, but I don't get home until around 4:00.

You and your family remain in my prayers.

Peggy

Unknown said...

Yea! The green hat arrived!! I was tempted to insure that one, baby alpaca and all ;=) hee hee. Handyman is living on a hobby farm and he doesn't know that no alpacas had to DIE for your hat?? It's not a mink :=). They just shear the alpacas, just like sheep. When I was in Washington State last year, my BFF and I went to the San Juan Islands off the coast and stopped at a couple alpaca farms. Those critters were so cute! I hope it feels nice and soft against your head. I've read that people take hand-knitted hats and turn them inside out, so the purl bumps are on the outside. You might try that. I am really glad I got all those done last week. This week there has been NO knitting, only falling asleep on the couch by about 8:30pm from work exhaustion. I'm really sorry the Tribble hat (I laughed so hard when I read that) is so incredibly small on you. I will see what magic I can do, or you can let #3 steal it from you.

Love,
Laurie

Aibrean's Musings said...

Yep, I remember that feeling too. That was about the time I went and had it shaved off -- it just felt icky -- and like you said, it hurt!

It was so good to see you the other night! If I didn't know better I'd never have thought you had chemo yet. :-)

xoxo

The Koomen Family said...

I love you in a hat... I love the hat pictures... they are the best. The best thing about them is your smile, it's contagious and beautiful. XOXO