Friday, December 19, 2008

Hair today--gone today!

Well, last night I came to grips with my hair loss. I decided I had wallowed in the mire long enough. I was dwelling on something that is temporary, albeit somewhat traumatic, but still doesn't need to drag me to the edge of sanity (and with me, several other little women). Anyway, I was sick of looking like Willie Loman and sick of hair everywhere and just plain decided to slap that door shut and move on.

This morning I took a shower hoping that would soothe some of the itchy, irritated feeling and it didn't really do that, but I did have one big rodent-sized clump slide down the back of my leg. Ick! I combed out a lot more and got ready for the wig ladies.

That place was hopping when we got there. DF and I had fun waiting, perusing the ponytails and falls and braidy things and hats. Finally, when I got shown in, Fran the owner commented that I had a lot less hair than when she saw me a week ago. They asked if I wanted it shaved off and I said I guess. I'm so sick of it on my pillow and in my clothes, but shaving one's head is not a cake walk. Still, I pictured Sigourney Weaver in Alien and put on my best brave face, since there were several folks watching. I opted not to watch in the mirror and waited until it was over to take a peek.

Yikes! Boy is my head pale! with black stubbly stuff. Anyway, now I wish I'd gotten a little longer of a wig, but DF said it was really cute and she liked it a lot. The girls visiting tonight liked it and so did #2. Handyman is almost too tired to comment.

The best part of the trip--other than getting cute hair--was learning the t-shirt trick! Take a man's t-shirt and measure up from the bottom hem 15" and cut off the bottom. Take that circle of shirt, position the hem across the front of your forehead, with the remainder hanging down over the back of your shoulders. Twist the two sides around one another behind your head 4x and then bring the twist up and over to the front of your forehead. You now have a completely covering turban twist--so cute! Any color--costs NOTHING! Handyman has about 647 different colored t-shirts in his drawer. Can't wait! Can't wait.

I got to meet Survivormom, who gave me her $20 stash of wig shampoo and conditioner--because SHE DOESN'T NEED IT ANYMORE. She promised me that this too shall pass. And she has cute hair to prove it.

DF sent me home with chicken noodle soup for supper (gone already), zucchini bread, a big vat of my favorite body shop lotion and a yummy air freshener for my car--(Guess horse manure and dog hair isn't on her favorites list.)

Dad and Handyman are building stall doors tomorrow, in a hurry before the big chill on Sunday. Don't know if I'm brave enough to photograph my baldness just yet...

I'll leave you with this image

5 comments:

survivor.mom said...

You have taken one giant leap forward! Congratulations - As condescending as it may sound,(although not intended to be) I'm so proud of you! I remember the comment I got from just about everyone: "I can't believe how TINY your head is!" This was usually followed by a comment about my brain size, which I chose to ignore!!! :-)

You are an inspiration to many, especially me, and I've already been there! When DF called last night, I was reminded how so many people came out of the woodwork to help me. Strangers! Thank you, my friend T from WF, for the opportunity to "pay it forward."

Welcome to the sisterhood you never wanted to join! We all love you! God bless!

Melissa said...

I have to tell you--there was a man from my church that went through chemo and radiation and lost all his grey (from dark brown) hair. It grew back RED! No red in his family! It was pretty wild, so watch out!! :)

Gail said...

You still have a sense of humor about losing your hair and that is great in itself. Really, in a few days you will feel fine about the hair loss. As for a photo, I will never post a bald shot of me on my blog LOLOL No one besides my family has seen my bald head but that's just me. Love the t-shirt idea. You may grow to love the wig. Mine is my best friend right now.
Stay strong!
Gail
gailschim.blogspot.com

Aibrean's Musings said...

You rock, my friend!

I did not have a pretty shaped head, but somehow a wig just didn't work for me. Everyone comes to grips with the hair loss in her own way -- your humor is a blessing!

Hugs,
Aibreán

taco6 said...

Hi Tracy,

I hope you guys had a great CHRISTmas! we are in our new house now so i don't have internet. i can only check once in a while. i hope the lack of updates just means you are too busy. Hope to read more soon. We are curious how you are doing.

God Bless

Les