Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bouncin' back, albeit slower

Well--chemo went off without a hitch last Friday. Needa came and brought mexican food to eat lunch with me. My counts were on the low side, borderline anemic, but nothing to require any prescriptions or delay. I sat next to a little older lady who is battling late-stage colon cancer...ugh, poor thing.

At the end, I got to "ring the bell" since it was my last treatment. I even bolted out without picking up a reminder card for my three-month follow-up. I am supposed to start taking Tamoxifen in about three weeks and that will be for about 5 YEARS! So, menopause, here I come!

When I left chemo, I began a giant commute to pick up kids and drop off kids. When I finally ended up back at my house, after dark, I came into a freshly-cleaned house! It was all cleaned up, including the Christmas tree--taken down and put away! My friend SP, who had my girls all day, had brought her four and my three back to the house after lunch, and those kids spent all afternoon cleaning up. They even finished off with a pot of tulips (my fave) on the kitchen island. She said it was their service project for the week! What a GIANT blessing! I couldn't get over it. They even got me on video tape, shrieking about what a blessing I can never repay!

Then we turned right back around and drove #2 and her friends to a guest party at the Arthur Murray Studio where she is taking ballroom dance lessons. They had a great time and I won a $20 Panera gift card!

The weekend was mostly a blur, as Handyman got home Friday evening, but worked from dawn to midnight on Saturday and left again on Sunday morning! But he's back now, in time for the biggest snowfall in our tenure here. I'm really not even sure that we can bust out of our driveway today, but we'll see.

I'm really tired. Don't know if it's the weather (yeah), the cold (yeah), the mid-winter slo-work panic (yeah)or just borderline anemia. But, I'm taking my vitamins and sleeping in when I can. And counting down the days until my hair starts coming back!!

2 comments:

The Koomen Family said...

so glad you are doing well... friends are so important and such a gift aren't they? Don't worry the tired is from the lack of sunlight, the cold, and the snow. You will bounce back soon! Thinking of you... XOXO

Aibrean's Musings said...

So thankful it's all over and you've kept your hysterical sense of humor through it all! You are a Wonder Woman!! xoxo