Friday, March 27, 2009

MUST READ--do not pass go--Head straight to the library

My precious Aunt Paula, who came to cook and clean and love my children while I had surgery last October, sent me a copy of a newspaper article from her town paper. It was an interview with Dr. David Servan-Schrieber, a clinical professor of psychology, who found his own brain tumor 17 years ago. It was cancerous.

The interview was headlined, "Can you really prevent cancer?" which is a bit of an overstatement, but attention-grabbing nonetheless. The interview was interesting enough that I requested my library purchase Dr. Servan-Schrieber's book, Anti-Cancer, A New Way of Life. They did and I have just finished it.

Everyone needs to read this book. Everyone. It's not a hocus-pocus--you-can-prevent-cancer book. It's an interesting story about taking control of what you can control and the power of the human body. How our modern lifestyles have aided us in supressing our bodies' abilities to defend themselves and how we can alter our "terrain" in our favor.

I could go on and on, but I'd rather you take the time to find the book and read it firsthand. Anti Cancer, A New Way of Life

Cancer patients and survivors--especially breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer, throat cancer and ovarian cancer are especially mentioned. I would like to buy a copy to give my oncologist at my next visit. Dr. Servan-Schrieber mentioned several times about his own oncologists never mentioning diet or exercise, although there are studies that demonstrate absolute results from both...

There are lists of good foods, exercise info regarding yoga and karate, and meditation and stress management.

I will tip you off that the "big three" foods that make a difference are: broccoli, green tea and the spice turmeric (which must be mixed with black pepper to be absorbed.)

1 comment:

Gail said...

You mentioned this book to me in one of your comments on my blog and I am ordering it this weekend. Funny, I just ordered some turmeric for myself after doing some research on it. Thanks for the book review! I will certainly order in now. Hope you are doing well!!!!

Gail
gailschim.blogspot.com